Monday, April 1, 2013

Crucifying Morality - Book Review


They say that a person tends to remember exactly where they were when they first experience a major event. It is a little before my time, but many people remember exactly where they were when JFK was shot. I remember sitting in my Elementary School's cafeteria when I first learned of the Challenger shuttle explosion, and who can forget the moment they watched the towers fall on 9/11?

Well, I have a snapshot stored in my mind of the first time I read the Sermon on the Mount. Chapters 5-7 of Matthew blew my mind. Immediately I went back and re-read every word. I don't know how much I actually understood at that point, but I knew there existed an unfathomable depth of wisdom and truth, just waiting to be discovered in those precious words of our Savior.

It is for this reason I jumped at the chance to review R. W. Glenn's, Crucifying Morality: The Gospel of the Beatitudes.

In this book, Glenn seeks to correct the multitude of wrong teaching that often accompanies the subject of the beatitudes. So often these verses are treated as commands, guidelines of morality.

"Thou shalt be poor in spirit."

"Thou shalt mourn."

"Thou shalt be meek."

You get the point.


But, what if instead of commanding, Jesus was describing those who have already entered his kingdom as opposed to those who are working to enter in?

Glenn, walks us through these oft misunderstood verses revealing how it is Jesus, and not us, who fulfills this perfect righteousness. Our focus should be on Jesus, and how the beatitudes were expressed in his life, and not on the beatitudes themselves.

You will come under the conviction of the Holy Spirit while reading, Crucifying Morality. Many times I felt a sting, as I was exposed to areas of my life that I have been less than Christ-like. But this isn't a reason to avoid this book, but on the contrary, only the more reason to read it. May it wake you from your slumber as it did me.

I'd like to thank Cross Focused Reviews for sending me this free copy.






Blog Widget by LinkWithin