Monday, January 14, 2013

Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books - Review



Yes. I did just read a book about reading books. (and you should too!)

  • Why should I read?
  • What should I read?
  • What shouldn't I read? 
  • Is it okay to read books that aren't "Christian"?
  • How can I get the most out of the books I do read?
These are just some of the questions Tony Reinke tackles in his book, Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books.

Tony shares the lessons he has learned through his life-long love of reading. Some that I found to be the most helpful, were his thoughts on the value of non-fiction and imagination. Rather than fearing such things we should appreciate the truth that is represented in such, recognizing that God often speaks his truth through those who may not even acknowledge him.

Another point the author brings out is the effect that the internet and digital media has on our reading habits. I agree that these changes have reduced us to mere skimmers of information as opposed to deep readers and thinkers. I often find my self rushing unnecessarily and easily distracted.  It can be a struggle to maintain focus. This tendency is something we must be aware of and seek to conquer.

This was truly an enjoyable read. I was reminded of much and learned even more, but most of all it stirred in me a desire to lose myself in a good book.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin