Wednesday, November 7, 2012

When To Speak Up and When To Shut Up - Review



The first thing I thought when I read the title was, "Boy, I know some people who need to read this!"

All joking aside, everyone could use the information in this book. Sedler lays out a biblical and practical guide to effective communication. Using Biblical examples he shares the times when when the situation called for speaking up and those when silence was in order. God's Word truly does have all the answers!

Now it's Personal

It's amazing how God works and places things in our lives. I had not finished this book but for a few hours, till I was presented an opportunity to apply what I had learned. I was quickly embroiled in a workplace confrontation. Immediately, many of the points that Dr. Sedler discussed flashed before my mind. Was it time to give a defense? Should I simply listen? Though there were many inaccuracies, what were my motives for wanting to react and correct? Was I willing to work towards reconciliation or was I gunning for revenge?

I'm thankful that these thoughts were fresh in my mind. Probably one of the most difficult responses that was presented was also one of the most important in these situations, resting and remaining confident in Christ when facing accusations. According to scripture, the meek shall inherit the earth, but in the eyes of the world meekness is regarded as weakness. It's difficult to "lose" in order to win. Pride is a powerful adversary. Lord, help me to seek the glory that comes from you and not that which is of the world.

Conclusion

When To Speak Up and When to Shut Up is one book that you will never regret having read. How we handle conflict and communication is essential in our sanctification and efforts to show Christ's love and grace to the world. May we all seek to glorify God with our words and relationships, and may he give us the grace and wisdom to not place a stumbling block before those whom Christ has died.

I'd like to thank Bethany House Publishers for sending me this free copy for review.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin