Friday, August 17, 2012

The Ride Home: When Extroverts and Introverts Marry

This is so familiar. This describes my wife and I perfectly. She as an extrovert, processes things by talking them out. I on the other hand need time to pause and quietly reflect on the previous events. So many of our trips home are just like this.

"Regardless of the social context, our true temperaments are always revealed in the trip home. Lindsay drives because I'm too exhausted. She wants to reenact her conversations and summarize what happened. This is the consummation of her experience. Meanwhile, I sit next to her with my eyes half open and my head firmly planted on the headrest. I try, usually unsatisfactorily, to make active listening sounds. I am either half asleep or else silently processing all of the interactions I have had. This is the completion of my social experience. My energy is depleted, while hers continues to build."
From Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture

She thinks I'm ignoring her or just uninterested and I can't understand why we can't just rest in silence. Marriage is fun!  :-)

Have any stories of interacting with opposite personality types?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin