Saturday, August 25, 2012

Best Budget Software With an Android and iPhone App

Who doesn't struggle with money? 

I know we need to trust in the Lord to provide for our needs, and that if we seek first the kingdom of God all these things will be added unto us, but we are still commanded to be good stewards of what he has blessed us with. But I need help!

Don't tell me I need a plan!

I don't have to tell you that the most important thing is to have a plan. We all know that. It's in the making and the tracking of the plan that we fail. There has to be an easy, or at least a not too difficult way, to accomplish this. If we can put a man on the moon, surly we can balance our budget. Congress excluded, of course.

Nothing works for me

I've tried various budgeting software and they usually suffer from one of two problems. They are either so complex and feature filled that they are way beyond what I want, need, or can understand, or they are nothing more than an electronic check book register. I need a place to record transactions, place them in categories, and keep track of them. It has to be simple to use, to the point of practically doing it for me, and not locking me into some budget that I can't adjust while I work out my spending.


You Need A Budget --- Seriously, that's what it's called

I can honestly say that You Need A Budget (YNAB) fits me perfectly. Everything is simple and convenient. Just download and install the software, setup an account, and start recording transactions. You can assign a category for each item, which allows you to see total expenditures for each of your categories in the budget tab.

Budgeting that works with You

The budget is especially nice. There is so much freedom. So often I felt confined to the makeshift budget that I first created, not sure of what I was doing. Now, when I get paid I deposit my paycheck, then I just divide it into the categories and amounts that I will need for the week. This ensures that the money will be there for what I need. But, I'm not quite where I should be financially, so I frequently find myself stealing from one category to meet a need somewhere else. Don't give me a lecture. I know this isn't the best way, but it's where I'm at now. The point I'm trying to make is that this software meets me where I am. 

Cloud Sync - Android and IOS

YNAB is now on version 4 with cloud sync capabilities. This is very nice. With the Android app, I can enter transactions and have them sync with my desktop and best of all, the app on my wife's phone. (Now if she will only check it before spending money!) You can keep track of funds and the status of your budgeted amounts on the go.

Great Support

With one of the last android app updates, the sync functions unfortunately kept force closing. I emailed the developers at the address they provided at Google Play, and they promptly replied stating that they were aware and working on the problem. A few hours later and I received another email stating that they had updated the app and it was now available. All was good. This is how customer support is done! Thank You!

What are you waiting for?

YNAB is great software at a great price. Do yourself, and your budget a favor and check it out for yourself. It even comes with a FREE 34 day trial. 

If you decide it's right for you click this link for $6 off.

Happy Budgeting!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin