Friday, July 13, 2012

Hello, my name is Brandon and I'm an...

Hello, My name is Brandon and I'm an Introvert.

I know it's quite a shock. I'll give you a moment to collect yourselves.

I've always been an introvert. Social interaction can just be so exhausting. I prefer to stay in. I delight in quite, alone times. This is how I recharge. While most of the world seems so eager to know everyone and everything that is going on, I'm more of one to step back and ponder what I've seen. I like to mull things over. I have opinions, but don't always feel the need to, or am comfortable enough to express them. I genuinely love people, but interacting with them is another story entirely.

Unfortunately, being an introvert affects everything. Even when it comes to belonging to and interacting in a local church. It seems as though people like myself just don't fit the build as devout or active Christians. You hear about the miraculous conversions, where an individual is translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light, and instantly they are an instrument of righteousness, extolling the glories of God and proclaiming Jesus Christ as Lord. Yeah, I'm not that dramatic.

Is something wrong with me? Do I really believe? Am I truly converted?

Shouldn't every Born-Again, Christian become a vessel, over running with joy, actively loving and building relationships with everyone they meet, shaking hands, hugging, seeking to share Christ? Why am I not setting the world on fire with love and evangelism, finding delight in all of those for whom Christ has died?

Instead, I'm the one standing off to the side, coming off as the disinterested, the stuck up, or the jerk.

I've wrestled with this years, never having arrived at any peace in the matter. How should a Christian look and behave? Is there a one size fits all?

With these questions in mind, I plan on spending some time exploring these issues. There is a book that I have been wanting to read, but for some reason or another have been putting it off. Well, I'm pretty sure it's because most of the books I've read I've gotten for free or close to it. (Paying full price for a book? Do you think I am made of money?) I've finally decide to take the plunge and order, Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture, by Adam S. McHugh. I plan on starting this one soon. Hoping to find some enlightenment there in. The author also has a blog of his own at www.introvertedchurch.com, which is worth a look.

So, anyone else willing to come forward as an introvert?

I know. What am I asking?

As if leaving blog comments is something an introvert is prone to do. I know I have personally written, and rewritten a comment multiple times before simply deleting everything and moving on, usually worried that it wasn't clear enough, or would be misinterpreted, was just plain dumb.


But if inspiration strikes, feel free to comment below.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin