Monday, June 18, 2012

I need to start climbing trees

Tree Climbing Goats! (Credit)


If there is one thing that can be counted on, it is the power of God's word to convict the heart. We can be so confident in our complacency, only to be shattered in mere verses.

Just look at Luke's account of Zacchaeus. Here is a short sinner, seeking to see Jesus. He is aware of both his sin and is physical limitations. So what does he do? He does something! That's what! He runs ahead of the crowd and climbs a tree. He wants to see Jesus, so he does what it takes to lay his eyes upon him. He doesn't mope around complaining about the crowd. He climbs over the obstacles keeping him from fellowship with our Lord. What an example. Why can't I do the same?

Zacchaeus fought the crowds. I succumb to tired eyelids when I should be praying. He seized the moment. I can't find the right time to hold family devotions. I wallow in excuses, while Zacchaeus is leading Jesus into his home. He had to be with Jesus, while I think I need to be in bed. Oh, why does scripture have to be so convicting? Lord, get me off of my butt and set me about climbing trees!

He entered Jericho and was passing through. And behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus. He was a chief tax collector and was rich. And he was seeking to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was small in stature. So he ran on ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see him, for he was about to pass that way.
ESV Luke 19:1-4 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin