Friday, April 27, 2012

Kindle or Print?


How often do you read scripture from a printed Bible?

I've come to realize, that I seldom ever use anything other than digital editions. I guess it all started with using the YouVersion Bible app to read my daily reading plan from my phone. It's the most convenient, accessible method I've found. From there I moved on to reading books through my kindle app. You just can't beat the always available, easy to carry, digital format. Add in the ability to sync reading progress across multiple devices, and it's no wonder so many have moved away from print. I've even used the Olive Tree BibleReader on my Kindle Fire at church. No more flipping pages for me!

As great as this all is, there are still a few concerns. One is study bibles and reference materials. I just bought the Kindle ESV Study Bible, (which is on sale!), and while it's nice having it with me all the time, it isn't as convenient to use as my print edition. Don't get me wrong, the kindle version is hyper-linked to all of the notes and references, and it works well, I'm just used to holding my fingers in two or three places as I flip back and forth studying. It's the same principle in the digital, I just have to get used to it.

I may consider investing in some additional resources for the Olive Tree BibleReader app, but they are a bit pricey. I had tried Olive Tree on my phone, but the small screen and sluggish performance turned me off. I recently gave it a try on my Fire and it seemed much smoother. The 7" screen is large enough and the dual core processor gives it the needed speed boost. The split screen view should work well for a study bible.

Another concern is that digital books just don't seem as real. There is a wow factor involved with standing in front of a well stocked bookshelf. Files in a computer folder, just don't have that same effect. In times past, one of the most valuable things that could be passed down through generations was the family library. Time and money were invested in growing a collection. They represented knowledge and wisdom.

How does this work with the kindle?

Can you leave your books to someone, like you would any other inheritance? Everything is tied to an individual email address. Is there any way to disconnect them to give them to another's collection? One problem I foresee are families with multiple devices and accounts. If a wife wants a book that her husband has, do they have to switch devices? I'm sure there are answers to many of these and that I just haven't looked hard enough, but they are concerns none the less.

Other than these few issues, I am really enjoying eBooks. There are so many good deals that you seldom have to pay full price. Gospel eBooks is a wonderful site that posts free and discounted Christian books. I subscribe to their RSS feed in Google Reader and to their Facebook page. If they list something as free I'll get it, even if it's not something I'm going to read anytime soon. Free stuff ROCKS!

So how bout it? Kindle or print, what's your preference?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin