Friday, April 20, 2012

Interview with Author Edward F. Mrkvicka Jr.

I recently had the pleasure of reviewing Edward F. Mrkvicka Jr.'s book, No Innocent Affair: Making Right the Wrong of Adultery. As an added bonus, I was able to ask him a few questions about his book and the motivation behind it.

First, some background info. Edward has led a full life. After retiring from the Air Force, he started a financial consulting firm and began authoring books on the world of finance. Though he experienced success in that realm, he was eventually led to turn his writing skills towards his true passion, his Savior Jesus Christ. He has since finished three books on the topics of salvation, prayer, and adultery.



QWhat led you to write on this difficult subject of adultery?
I started my lay ministry in the mid 1960s while I was serving in the military. For whatever reason, other soldiers sought me out for spiritual advice, and then my counseling spread by word-of-mouth. After being discharged, notwithstanding my banking career, more and more people came to me because they heard I was a man who refuses to compromise the word of God. Strangely, as more people came forward, I started to see a very bright trend; i.e., most of the problems people were experiencing were marriage problems, often revolving around adultery. I have almost always been able to help because I came to know that the answer lies in getting right with God first before you try and fix the marriage. Secular counselors, who have a dismal track record, fail because they don’t understand this truth. The bottom-line is - I didn’t chose the subject, the subject chose me.

Q.  In your opinion what is the best way we can help to curb the epidemic of divorce in our culture?
By talking about it openly, so we all understand, hopefully before-the-fact, that adultery, as the Bible says, kills our very soul and helps destroy the physical lives of those we say we love, especially our innocent children. We’ve got to understand that the “it’s no big deal” attitude is a lie. It is a big deal, and I can tell you from counseling experience, once you commit adultery nothing will ever be the same. I’m a bottom-line kind of guy, even in spiritual matters. Allow me to share this crucial aspect that I hope helps the understanding of this epidemic. Almost every person I have counseled who has committed adultery has said when all the dust settled, “It just wasn’t worth it.” That is a witness that should be listened to.

Q. What advice would you have for those who are suffering as the result of a spouse's betrayal?
You didn’t fail, your wayward spouse did. So often secular, and even some so-called Christian counselors, will look to the innocent victims of adultery (and the divorce that almost always follows) to see where they “went wrong.” What did they do that caused their husband or wife to violate their wedding vows? What nonsense. As a man of God, I will not listen to such claptrap, because there is no excuse for adultery - none! When someone has been betrayed in a marriage, the normal reaction is to try to get our spouse back, but that’s exactly the action(s) that will ensure matters disintegrate further. The Bible says an adulterer is an enemy of God (James 4:4) and we are to have nothing to do with them until they repent. Being strong in God’s Word produces positive results. It may sound counterintuitive, but you’ll never go wrong listening to the One who can do all things except fail.
You can learn more by visiting Edward Mrkvicka's site and by reading my review of No Innocent Affair.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin