Friday, March 2, 2012

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy




I recently finished one of the best books I have ever read, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. This book has everything, action, drama, suspense, history, theology, and even a bit of a love story. But through it all, one thing kept hitting me. This really happened. These people lived this. These people died this. In our comfort filled American life where our greatest sacrifice is getting up early enough for Sunday School, these things just don 't seem possible. They are from another world, another time.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was truly an amazing and gifted man. He saw things clearly when those around him were willing to believe what they wanted to see. He struggled with thoughts that seldom cross the minds of others and through it all he desired to do nothing more, than to serve his God and his people. He lived out faith and obedience in a time where most were only trying to survive.

Eric Metaxas does a fantastic job bringing this story to life. I found my self wrestling right along side Bonhoeffer though every ethical and spiritual dilemma. I longed for a happy ending, though I already knew that it wouldn't come.

There is so much that can be learned from the life and death of this dear saint. So much about faith and obedience, the importance of God's word, and the dangers of evil in our modern world. How I pray that I, that any, could stand in such desperate times.

While I could go on and on about this book and the life of  Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the best thing I can do is to recommend that you read it for yourself. I'm sure I'll revisit some of the things that struck me most in later posts, but for now simply know that this is one book you won't regret starting.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin