Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Christian Zombie Killers Handbook: Slaying the Living Dead Within



I have a confession to make. I have been guilty of judging a book by its cover. When I first saw Jeff Kinley's book, The Christian Zombie Killers Handbook, I knew I wouldn't like it. It just sounded too trendy or "relevant" as everyone is fond of saying these days. Just more watered down Gospel repackaged to be palatable to non-believers and fakers.

Well, I have learned my lesson. I am pleased to report that I in fact have really enjoyed this book. Jeff has done a fantastic job weaving the Gospel and a zombie thriller together into an entertaining, yet powerful presentation of God's gracious salvation offered in Jesus Christ. Drawing the comparison between the undead and the plague of our sin nature, he is able to relate the two themes in a multitude of surprisingly accurate ways. Each portion is able to better draw out the meaning of the other.

The book itself is set up with alternating chapters, one concerning the zombie novel and the next expounding upon the realities of God's truth. I originally feared that one would possibly overpower the other, that the Gospel would be either be lost in the story or rendered in-effective due to being forced into the zombie novel framework. Thankfully, Jeff Kinley has successfully navigated the divide and kept them in their proper perspectives.

The Christian Zombie Killers Handbookwould make a great Gospel introduction for someone who may not normally be open to hearing about Jesus.

I'd like to thank Thomas Nelson Publishers for allowing me to review this free copy as a part of their BookSneeze program.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin