Friday, October 7, 2011

What could they hold against you?

Say for whatever reason, someone is out to get you. They want to bring you down hard. Maybe by getting you in trouble with the Law, or maybe just with the boss at work. Either way they need to dig up some dirt. If you're having trouble understanding what I mean, just look at our political system. A candidate moves to the fore-front and suddenly his opponent is interviewing his former Kindergarten teacher, trying to discover anything that may incriminate him. But now that someone is you.

What would they find?

What about you could be exposed in such a way that it would call into question your honesty. Or your faithfulness? Or your integrity?

Check out what scripture records about the time this happened to Daniel.
It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom 120 satraps, to be throughout the whole kingdom; and over them three high officials, of whom Daniel was one, to whom these satraps should give account, so that the king might suffer no loss. Then this Daniel became distinguished above all the other high officials and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him. And the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom. 
Then the high officials and the satraps sought to find a ground for complaint against Daniel with regard to the kingdom, but they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him. Then these men said, “We shall not find any ground for complaint against this Daniel unless we find it in connection with the law of his God.”
(Daniel 6:1-5 ESV)
Daniel was moving up the ladder and they weren't having it. So they set out to bring a charge against him, but try as they might, they came up empty handed. 

I'm embarrassed to say, that they wouldn't have had such a hard time if it was me they were after. We may put our best face forward, but down deep we know our guilt. So many things to be ashamed of.

But wouldn't it be great if we could have the same thing said about us that was said of Daniel?
but they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him. Then these men said, “We shall not find any ground for complaint against this Daniel unless we find it in connection with the law of his God.”
They only thing they could convict him on was his faith and obedience to God. Wow! Reminds me of the question pastors love to pose to their congregations;

"If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

Daniel was guilty as charged. My conviction comes from the fact that my case may not be so cut and dry. Reading these verses makes me think about my actions in every area of my life. How do I treat my wife and my kids? Am I a loyal friend? Am I trustworthy and honest?

Am I blameless?

That is how Paul wishes for us to be found at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(1 Thessalonians 5:23 ESV)
Where am I lacking? What needs to be improved? Where in my life have I let sin linger to long? Where am I to be blamed? These passages bring much self-examination.

So what could they hold against you?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin