The firestorm emerged when Justin Taylor posted the video and announced his suspicions that Rob Bell is a universalist. This received nods of agreement from those who have known for years of Bell's heretical ways, while unleashing condemnation from those who felt Justin was judging a book by it's cover, or video in this case.
In case you've missed the show and want in on the action, I've compiled a list links to help navigate you through the crisis.
- Rob Bell: Universalist? - Justin Taylor - The post that launched 1,479 comments (you can view the video here)
- To Hell with Hell - Kevin DeYoung
- Rob Bell Outs Himself - Denny Burk
- Two Thoughts on the Rob Bell Brouhaha - Kevin DeYoung (He uses "brouhaha" - I love it)
- What I'd Have to Deny to Deny Hell - Tim Challies
- Keller and Carson on Hell and God’s Love: Announcement from The Gospel Coalition - Justin Taylor
- Rob Bell’s New Book— Love Wins - Ben Witherington
- Ben Witherington, Justin Taylor, John Piper, and the Rob Bell Circus - C Michael Patton
- A Partial Review of Rob Bell’s “Love Wins” - New Leaven
- Why is Hell Eternal - C Michael Patton
- Doing Away with Hell? Part One - Albert Mohler
- Credo Clip: Should a Christian Believe in Hell? - C Michael Patton
This list is far from exhaustive. Much has been said and is still being said on this issue. The thing we have to keep in mind is that this does matter. The doctrine of Hell is important and we must strive to maintain an honest and biblical articulation of it against those who would deny or soften it.
On the issue of whether Justin Taylor should have proclaimed such a warning based solely on the promotional video, yes I think it was appropriate. Rob Bell has repeatedly challenged orthodox beliefs and the video is meant to lead in this direction. If the book is released and Bell stands with an orthodox view on Hell, then he will have to answer for the misleading advertising and whether it was simply a ploy to sell more books.
Update Love Wins - A Review of Rob Bell's New Book Tim Challies reviews Love Wins and it is jut as bad as we thought it was going to be. Big surprise.