Friday, January 21, 2011

"It's Matthew isn't it?"

Those would have been the words to come out of my mouth. Never trust a tax collector!

 Here are the disciples, enjoying the Passover meal with Jesus, and he drops a bombshell on them.
"Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me." Mark 14:18
What? Surely they are stunned by the announcement. They were his chosen twelve. His closest companions.One of us will betray you?

Then the eyes start shifting back and forth, as each one sizes up the others, to see who has this guilt written upon their face. Their hands all rise, with fingers pointing, mouths ready to pronounce condemnation upon this vile creature.

"Tell us who it is, Jesus, we will stop him!" they cry in unison.

This sure sounds about right, but this isn't what happened. No accusations were made. No fingers were pointed. Anger was nowhere to be found.
They began to be sorrowful and to say to him one after another, Is it I? Mark 14:19
 This gets me every time I read it. The only one any suspected was themselves. Is it I?

This is what humility looks like. Oh, how prideful I can be. So much so that I find their responses unbelievable.

They had so much love for Jesus that their first concern wasn't, who is it, but sorrow at the thought of their master being betrayed. Then they were gripped with fear that it might be in fact them who would do this awful deed. They were broken. Is it I?

How I wish I could always respond in this way. I can be so quick to seek fault in others, when I should first look at myself.

Is it I?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin