Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rejoicing in Mystery

After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.” (Rev 4:1)

Aren't you glad that there are many things we have yet to see? Both things that exist now, unbeknownst to us, and things that are yet to take place.

For there is a realm we cannot imagine. An abode for angels, seraph, and four faced living creatures, just as real as you and me. We live each day oblivious to their existence, consumed in thoughts and concerns of ourselves and all that lies before our eyes. Sure we read of them, yet we mostly relegate them to stories and visions of long ago, dismissing the mystery and awe that lives just past our sight. These things are true we agree sure enough, but of what value is it to us here and now?


There is a vastness we cannot comprehend.
We should find comfort in these unseen things, for it reminds us that all God is doing is not limited to what we see. He has formed for his glory, and set in motion for his purposes more than we could ever hope to imagine. Our feeble minds couldn't bear it if we were told. Maybe this is why we skim past these verses so quickly. There is a vastness we cannot comprehend.


This is no god!
Some foolishly believe they can strengthen themselves and stand firm when they serve a god they have all figured out. This is mere vanity, self-righteousness, settling for a god that can only be declared great if their minds can fully encompass him. This is no god!

In all that my God has shown me of his wisdom and might, I have come to find that he is so far above and greater than anything my mind could ever create. He can not be contained in my logic and for this I am thankful. I take comfort in the littleness of my knowledge, for I know that whatever seems to be impossible is simply where God will work and leave me to stand in awe of him.

I want to be left amazed at the unexpected, for in God's perfection, my imperfection doesn't know what to expect.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin