Friday, August 20, 2010

Mighty Acts of God: A Family Storybook Bible by Starr Meade

  Mighty Acts of God by Starr Meade is another storybook bible I highly recommend. Along with The Jesus Storybook Bible, they are excellent for reading and devotions in families with young children. I have greatly enjoyed reading these to my own kids. I'm am always amazed at how often I find that I gain new insight and appreciation for and from the retelling of these Bible stories. Sometimes I think I learn more from them than they do!

  One feature that makes both of these Bibles so edifying, is that they seek to tell the individual stories within the context of the entire biblical narrative. So many times these stories are taken out and isolated from the rest of the Bible. Children are left with only partial understanding. They learn that they shouldn't listen to talking snakes, Noah loved animals and boating, and that Abraham had lots of kids. They learn the facts and not the why. The Mighty Acts of God and The Jesus Storybook Bible both do an excellent job of tying everything together. Through this technique the purposes and plans of God are more easily seen. The grand story of redemption becomes so much fuller and extraordinary. God's sovereignty can be seen in all of its glory.

  So what are you waiting for? Begin reading one of these books with the kids tonight. You won't be disappointed. 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin