Friday, June 18, 2010

What If I Had Given Everything?


"The Motions" by Matthew West

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions
?"


   I don't want to spend my whole life asking, "What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions?" This is harsh! It's something that's on my mind all the time. Life is so short, and so important. What of my responsibilities? Am I fulfilling those things that are most important? Am I doing all that I can for my wife, our marriage? What of my precious sons? Am I loving them enough? Am I raising them right? What am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Oh God, these things are too great for me! Will my sons grow up to love Jesus? Will they be washed in his Blood? Will they be safe in his arms? This is my biggest fear.

  My God is sovereign. I know that all whom he has chosen will be saved and I know that he is good. I can trust in his will and rest in his plans. But don't let me be a hindrance. Or lack where I should be full. Oh God, you are great!

  What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions? Where have I become complacent? Where am I just going through the motions? God has given me, each of us life. How precious that life should be. How dear. A life offered up to God. A life spent loving Him, spent loving our families, our friends, our enemies, always seeking to be a blessing to everyone at all times.

  Am I doing all that I can? When I stand before Christ, will I hear the scolding that the man (Matt 25:25) who hid his talent in the ground received, "You knew who I was and what I expected."(Matt 25:26-27) Or will I hear well done good and faithful servant?(Matt 25:21)

  Paul exhorts us in scripture to finish the race (2 Tim 4:7), to run to win (1 Cor 9:24), to not be entangled in affairs and things that aren't what matters in serving Christ (2 Tim 2:4-5). Am I pushing to win? Seeking the prize of Christ and his kingdom? (Phil 3:14) How many foolish distractions am I tied up in, kept from what I should be doing? Looking for other things to occupy or satisfy rather than embracing what God has placed in front of me. Open my eyes oh God!

I pray that I do spend my whole life asking. Otherwise I'd just be going through the motions.


What are you doing?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin