Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Like a warrior who puts away his bow ...

  I've written before here on my love for the Jesus Storybook Bible. My wife and I taught Tiny Tots this past month of June and I read some out of this to the three and four year-olds. One of the lessons was on how God protects us, using Noah as an example. I'd like to share a little of the chapter “A new beginning” that presented an idea that I had never heard before.
  At last, the boat landed quite suddenly on top of a great mountain. As soon as it was safe, God said, “Out you come!” And so they did – everyone skipping and dancing onto dry land.
  The first thing Noah did was to thank God for rescuing them, just as he had promised.

  And the first thing God did was make another promise. “I won't ever destroy the world again.” And like a warrior who puts away his bow and arrow at the end of a great battle, God said, “See I have hung my bow in the clouds.”

   And there, in the clouds – just where the storm meets the sun – was a beautiful bow made of light.

  It was a new beginning in God's world.

  It wasn't long before everything went wrong again but God wasn't surprised, he knew this would happen. That's why before the beginning of time, he had another plan – a better plan. A plan not destroy the world, but to rescue it – a plan to one day send his own Son, the Rescuer.

  God's strong anger against hate and sadness and death would come down once more – but not on his people, or his world. No, God's war bow was not pointing down at his people.

  It was pointing up, into the heart of Heaven
.
The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones pages 46&47

   I've always focused on the rainbow as God's sign to us as just a rainbow. The imagery of a warriors bow had never occurred to me. Maybe I'm the only one who missed this, but it makes perfect sense now! I always had found it strange that a rainbow was God choice of a sign for his promise.
   I love how Jesus and the larger story of redemption is woven into every chapter. “God's war bow is now pointing up, into the heart of Heaven.”

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.          Romans 5:10-11



Blog Widget by LinkWithin