Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Neglecting Prayer

  Do you pray enough? Can a person pray enough?

  We all know that we should pray without ceasing and that everything should be bathed in prayer, but do we? We talk about prayer and things we need to pray about, but do we pray? We love to take and share prayer requests at our prayer meetings, but do we ever get around to praying for them? People ask us to pray for them all the time. Do we? If you're like me I always tell them I will. Do I? Sadly, only sometimes.

Without question prayer is essential to the Christian life.
Nobody would ever deny this.
So why don't we pray?

  Time would probably be the most common excuse. It's a big one for me. It's hard to find a moment to quiet my spirit and commune with God. Constantly racing back and forth between responsibilities makes it difficult  to come to a sudden stop and focus on prayer. Even when this is possible the chances of being left alone are slim. Scripture speaks of going to our prayer closet for this time alone. I may have to lock the door behind me.

  The truth may be we fail to comprehend the awesomeness of prayer. I don't always realize that I'm actually talking to God. He who created the heavens and the earth hears my voice. Can any of us grasp the greatness of this? Sadly, I often fail to. So many times I just go through the motions, speaking more to the air than to my Heavenly Father. This shouldn't be.

  The problem may be that I don't think about God enough. I think about what he wants me to do and what he has done for me, but I don't think nearly enough just about him. Things like who God really is and what are his plans and purposes. We should be in constant awe over him and his greatness; On our faces before him knowing that it is only by his mercy and grace that we are still breathing. We don't deserve his goodness. We don't deserve anything but death. And to think that this Great God sent his Son to die that we may live is almost too much to bear. We are not worthy. But worthy is the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world!

  We have the undeserved privilege of  fellowship and prayer with our God. I've taken this for granted for too long. Lord, forgive me!

Let us pray... 


Blog Widget by LinkWithin